The Department of Mental Health Education, NIMHANS aims to promote the health and wellbeing of individuals and communities through excellence in teaching, research, and service in the area of mental and neurological disorders. The Department is an integral part of the institute and actively involved in teaching, research and training activities in the field of mental health education. Over a period of time, the quality and nature of healthcare has improved with advanced technology and digitalisation. With minimal resources in the past, the department has large research projects to its credit and developed collaborations with other clinical departments providing quality work. The Department provides intensive specialized training in the development of strategies ranging from an individual to systemic level that can assist individuals, communities, and societies in adopting and maintaining healthy lifestyles.
The focus of the Department of Mental Health Education is to prepare students, all health care professionals, caregivers and the community at large to promote health in individual and group settings, and among diverse populations using culturally appropriate health education methodologies. Its goal is to facilitate voluntary health-related behavioural and social change through the application of principles of behavioural and social sciences. The department aims at developing health education and training materials that will help all individuals and organisations.
Applications are invited for admission to a One month full time Certificate course on Mental Health Education and Promotion being conducted by the Department of Mental Health Education. NIMHANS, Bangalore.
Department of Mental Health Education
Course Learning Objectives:
At the end of the course, the participant would be able to –
- Understand the disease causation and consequences in a holistic manner by appreciating the linkage of social determinants and biological risk factors
- Apply the basis of socio – cultural, economic and political determinants of health in mental health promotion
- Apply the principles and methods of social and behaviour change for mental health promotion
- Apply and practice the principles of effective health communication in mental health promotion
- Learn to develop audio visual aids, like posters, videos, brochures, flipcharts in promoting mental health education
Number of Seats:
Four per year
One Month full time
First Course date:
Every year, September 1 to September 30.
As per NIMHANS rules 3000/-(non-refundable) for non medical professionals.
The candidates need to make their own accommodation arrangements. Limited hostel accommodation may be offered only on prior request and is subject to availability.
MBBS/MA/MSc/MSW degree in Social Work/Psychology/Public Health or any other behavioural sciences obtained through a regular full time course from a recognized university
Selection will be based on merit basis. The aggregate marks obtained during the MBBS/MA/MSc/MSW degree in Social Work/Psychology/Public Health or any other behavioural sciences course will be considered for preparing the merit list. In case of ties, aggregate marks at undergraduate level will be considered. In case of further ties, seniority by age will be considered.
Procedure for Application:
Applications are invited in the month of April through a notification on the NIMHANS website. The interested candidates should send their application on the prescribed form (downloadable from the NIMHANS website at the time of annual notification) along with the following documents:
- Bio data with a recent passport size photograph and full postal address with email id
- A write up on goals and objectives of joining the course (500 words)
- Attested copies of undergraduate and postgraduate level degree certificates along with marks sheets
- Research and work experience related documents, if any
- Hard copies of the application along with supporting documents should be sent to the following address:
The Professor and I/C Head
Dept of Mental Health Education
M.V. Govindaswamy Center (Ground Floor)
For any clarification, please contact:
Dr .K.S.Meena (Course Coordinator)
Department of Mental Health Education,
M.V. Govindaswamy Center (Ground Floor),
Last Date for Receiving Application:
Intimation of selection:
August first week
Laptops and technical knowledge to use laptops